Written by: Evelina Silveira, President, Diversity at Work
I am having trouble recognizing my birthplace and the country to which my family decided to immigrate. Canada, a fractured massive mess embroiled in identity politics and devoid of logic and forecast.
We call people bigots for wanting to preserve Canadian values. Why? Canadian values, for the most part, have kept this country lawful and peaceful. Do people immigrate to Canada for Chinese or Saudi Arabian values? No! They come because Canada is a safe homeland for all.
Many immigrants and former refugees I have spoken to feel the same way. Some are even thinking of moving back to their country of origin because they no longer like what they see. Freeing communist Poland as a refugee, my husband, for instance, feels the growing loss of freedoms is becoming strikingly similar to what he left behind.
Here are ten Canadian diversity issues which have left me wondering: What kind of country am I living? (They are not in any particular order)
1. A terrorist still gets to keep their citizenship because our Prime Minister says that: ” a Canadian citizen is always a citizen”.
2. The Canadian government is going to spend billions of dollars to celebrate Canada’s 150 years of colonizing our indigenous people. I honestly would rather them skimp on the celebrations and provide our indigenous people with clean water and mold-free schools and decent housing. I am surprised no one thought of that.
3. Violent protests are erupting at universities and other locations conservative speakers have been booked. A diversity of opinion is not considered a strength.
4. Christian bashing has become normalized even though this is the faith of over 50% of Canadians. Check out this highly offensive article poking fun at the holiest day of the Christian liturgical calendar. https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/04/christ-sees-shadow-predicts-6-weeks-easter/
5. Canadian Black Lives Matter leader Yusra Khogali declares white people to be “sub-human” and tweets to Allah to stop her from killing them. Surprisingly, Khogali, is celebrated and asked to speak at anti-racism conferences? As much as Trudeau, is not my guy, Khogali is way off-base when she calls him a white-supremacist. The BLM Canada movement will lose its credibility if it takes this hateful approach and tries to hijack the Toronto Pride Parade and cause division between the police and Pride. Pride is supposed to be a fun time to celebrate the rights and freedoms of the LGBT community no matter your skin colour!
6. The NDP government wants to support a Boycott Divest and Sanction Israel policy. Why? Does anyone know why there is an armed checkpoint to get to the Israeli side? It is because Palestinian’s were bringing bombs over and then Israelis became maimed or died. Since the checkpoints are in place, they have been able to prevent deaths this way. Even if you are anti-Jewish, answer this question: Is it a government’s prerogative to ensure the safety and protection of its citizens? The answer is Yes! So before you, BDS followers bash Israel, ask yourself if you would want the government to do what it could from stopping your friends and family from getting hurt. This is the same country which takes wounded Syrians into their hospitals regardless of their faith or ethnicity. Get informed before you make these decisions. The only reason why the NDP conjures up maniacal ideas like this one is so that they can capitalize on the political correctness of antisemitism thus broadening their voter demographics. Why doesn’t the NDP take this stand with Saudi Arabia?
7. The fact that our Ontario Sex Education program had input from a convicted pedophile, Ben Levin, speaks volumes. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/child-sex-offender-ben-levin-said-himself-that-he-was-in-charge-of-crafting Concerns raised about how the curriculum groomed young children for sex is now coming to light. If you have ever talked to kids who have gone through this sex education program, they will tell you that it has only made them more confused about their sexuality. One ten-year-old girl once disclosed to me that she must be “asexual” because she was not interested in having a relationship with a boy or a girl. A 10-year old girl!
8. New Age Feminism has taken a dangerous tone. Our Prime Minister does not condemn barbaric practices against women and girls nor the lack of rights of women in Saudi Arabia and others. Our new Minister of the Status of Women, Maryam Monsef has indicated that she is interested in sharia law and she does not see aborting female babies as gender-based violence. Honestly? Deciding to end a pregnancy because the sex of the baby is the grossest act of violence against girls. Is Monsef an actual advocate of women and girls?
Our so-called feminist Prime Minister, Trudeau also uses women in parliament to avoid responding during Question Period. Instead, he defers to the House Leader Bardish Chagger to address Progressive Conservative, Michelle Rempel’s questions. It is a painful, humiliating scene to watch for those of us who are sincerely concerned about women’s rights. Not only is it a woman who is made to do Trudeau’s dirty work but a woman of colour –which makes it doubly-abusive: a prime example of Trudeau’s disrespect for women and his arrogance. Check out this video http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/22/rempel-bardish-chagger-question-period_n_15547002.html
9. Our media is covering up stories about violent crimes committed by Syrian refugees which puts us in danger—especially women and girls. Even if you don’t like Rebel Media or Ezra Levant for that matter, get passed your bias and watch the clip below. It’s not as sensational as you may expect, especially when Faith Goldy obtains hard evidence a result of Freedom to Access of Information. Are we going to still deny there is a problem? It is frightening, and clearly, the government had no plan for these refugees when they came here. These are not isolated incidents as you will see that Goldy has reported from across school boards in Canada. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiD5cDCT_3g This is another example of how refugees and immigrants are not given adequate information about expected behaviours – especially in the classroom.
10. Motion- 103 regarding Islamaphobia crafted by a Pakistani immigrant, Liberal MP, Iqra Khalid leaves me and my friends from former communist countries wondering – what is happening in Canada? How does someone who immigrated from a country which has blasphemy laws and led the York University Muslim Student Association (which distributed pamphlets on how to beat your wife); has any right to curtail criticism of Islam like this?
Shockingly, there appears to be a double-standard when it comes to protecting Canadians from religious hatred. Recently, there have been two clear cases of imams calling for the genocide of Jews and spewing hate. Most people haven’t even heard about them. Check these videos out for yourself Montreal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRuTP-ao9U , and Toronto http://en.cijnews.com/?p=208986 no one bats an eye.
And contrary to our neighbours in the south who challenge antisemitism, cowardly Canadian diversity and equity consultants remain mute; confirming it is on the rise when those whose role is to confront hate and bias feel justified in keeping silent. Being a bystander and a diversity/ equity consultant/practitioner is not only a contradiction but lacks integrity. If you don’t feel like challenging these kinds of issues — you are in the wrong field. How can you train others about anti-bias when you are not prepared to confront it yourself? Let’s not forget all of those who remained silent before and during World War II and all the other bystanders throughout history who collectively could have saved generations.
O Canada! I haven’t given up on you yet but you must act quick so we remain “glorious and free”.